Old March 20th 06, 11:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Question about backups with Ghost

Andy wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:11:28 -0500, "Jeff" wrote:

Question for the experts.....

I have never used Ghost before so here is my setup.

Win xp sp2 with two internal sata drives each in a removeable drawer.

System drive is C

Storage drive is D

What I'd love to be able to do is the following:

Back up Drive C to Drive D so that if something gets screwed up i
can simply remove Drive C and then the "D" drive would become an
exact replacement which would pick up where "C" left off.

Is this possible?

Can I do Incremental backups nightly which would only backup files
and folders which have changed without copying the entire contents?

If thiis is indeed possible....how can a backup drive which is a
clone of the original boot at the same time as the system drive,
how does windows know the difference?

When Windows sees two identical drives, it changes the disk signature
of the second one. So if you want to be able to boot the clone, save a
copy of the orignal drive's MBR. When it becomes time to boot the
clone, replace the clone's MBR with the one you saved. Then you'll be
able to boot the clone.

You dont need to do that to boot the clone.