Old February 5th 04, 09:47 PM
Ken Fox

This is completely off-topic to this forum, but I'm posting a brief further
followup on the chance that someone will pull this thread up on a google
search investigating wireless card-caused blue screen errors on laptops.

In the prior post I mentioned that reflashing the bios seemed to solve the
problem; it did for a day or so but the problems have returned, e.g.
repetitive blue screen errors with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, blah blah
blah. I've run google searches on the exact set of hexidecimal codes and
have determined this is a very common problem afflicting all sorts of
wireless cards, apparently mostly based on a TI chip, and it is found in
some PCI wireless cards as well as laptop PC cards. No one has found a
solution that works, unfortunately. The driver is bad and conflicts with
certain sorts of hardware in certain notebooks and primarily laptops.
Unless the drivers are rewritten and or windows is patched, I don't think
there is a solution that an actual enduser can utilize. I did retry the
lower power settings in the laptop for the wireless card and they don't
help.

Thanks,

Ken

"Ken Fox" wrote in message
"David Maynard" wrote in message

If your wireless card has a power setting try turning transmit power to
a lower level. They pull a fair amount of current, for a PCMCIA card,
and maybe the notebook is having trouble providing it.

Hi David,

The wireless card does have such a setting; I was (at least initially,
haven't pursued it much since but may go back to it) unable to get a

decent
connection on the lower power settings last night, unfortunately.

I had removed the wireless card software and drivers from my laptop so I
wasn't able to try the power setting initially, by itself. Because these
blue screen errors have been blamed on out of date bioses in the past, I'd
been reluctant to see if the bios was related being as I already had the
most up to date bios flash on my notebook (it dates from May 2003 but they
have not updated it since my flash which was probably in June). I decided
to reflash the bios. The Dell utility offers an option to flash without
using a floppy; I tried that, but all I got was an error message saying I
already had that level of bios so the program defaulted to not flashing

the
bios. The next time I refused the floppy-less flash, and forced it to

make
a boot floppy with the bios on it, then rebooted. The bios flash (per
floppy) program apparently doesn't check what level you were already at,

so
it just flashed the bios without asking.

I rebooted, loaded the software and drivers for the wireless card, and did
not get any blue screens. I had trouble getting a decent connection, and

as
it was late decided not to bother with the access point last night and
deferred dealing further with this until this afternoon. After rebooting
the wireless AP, I'm now getting good connections on full power to the

card,
but did not no go back to the power setting on the driver. Since I only

use
the laptop on wireless when it is plugged in anyway, I wonder how much the
power setting really matters anyway, but if I get blue screens again I'll
try the power setting and see if that resolves them. For now, the bios
reflash appears to have done the trick. I should add, that since I was

able
to use the wireless card for about 6 months without any problems and

without
setting it to low power, I think this makes a pretty good case that my

bios
got corrupted sometime over the last few months, for some reason, and that
this was the source of all my aggravations with my DLink card!

Thanks again for your input.

ken