Old August 17th 04, 04:29 PM
CSM1

External Hard drive or CDR or even the new DVD data recorders.

Tape has the disadvantage of having to play the tape until you find the
selection you are looking for. Also Tape is slow in transfer rate.

For 150 Euro you can get a 120 GB external hard drive and case. USB 2.0 or
Firewire. In the USA a external hard drive case is about $40 USD and 120 GB
hard drive is about $90 USD.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Gary Whitehead" wrote in message
DAT tapes!

Having the disc space for this is not a problem nowadays, but I certainly
would not be doing it without backup. The entire collection should fit

on
around 30 tapes (12GB), at a cost of about 150 euros.

I'm also reckoning on us being at a cusp, i.e. in a few years the amount

of
data that this will produce will fit easily into normal spec machines.

Cheers,

Gary.

bmoag wrote:

Have you considered the practical realities of creating files this

large,
about 100mbs per file?

Have you considered the real world utility of 16 bit color vs the ideal
(i.e. no monitor or printing method can utilize that much color
information and will in some way arbitrarily truncate it anyway)?

I hope your are a very young man so that you may live to complete this
project.