Old August 17th 04, 03:59 AM
Greg

Good point - I forgot to mention that I use JPEG 2000 to archive my scans.

Gary - I suggest you look into JPEG 2000 as a possibility for storing your
achives. JPEG 2000 supports greater than 8-bit per channel encoding, whereas
standard JPEG doesn't.

Yes, I use JPEG 2000 in lossy mode, but it does have a lossless mode as
well.

Greg.
"bmoag" wrote in message
m...
Have you considered the practical realities of creating files this large,
about 100mbs per file?

Have you considered the real world utility of 16 bit color vs the ideal
(i.e. no monitor or printing method can utilize that much color
information
and will in some way arbitrarily truncate it anyway)?

I hope your are a very young man so that you may live to complete this
project.