Old April 12th 17, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

Default Switch display?

On 4/11/2017 2:53 PM, Paul wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Been given a Samsung N150 netbook with broken screen and HDD removed.
Attached HDD from Win 10 laptop, it appears to boot OK and I can just
about see the clock in System Tray. Attached monitor to VGA port then
using WINKEY+P and arrow keys/Enter tried to switch to external
monitor but no luck. Netbook originally had Win 7 so tried Fn+F4 in
vain. Also tried removing screen connector plug thinking it might
detect no display and switch to external monitor.
Not worth buying new screen for, question is is there any other way to
get the display to drive external monitor?

Kenny Cargill

You can get a new panel for $36.

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English.../NP-N150~PLUS/

Generally, the internal cable to the panel is unidirectional.
The conductor count is kept to a minimum, so the cable won't
be stiff. And I've not heard any symptoms that suggest they
have impedance detection on that interface either. There should
be no EDID, so the motherboard cannot sense the resolution
options the panel might support. It lacks that automation.
Instead, the BIOS is hardwired with a fixed resolution choice
assumed for the panel.

Check Ebay, and maybe you can get an entire machine, for the
same price as shopping for a panel.

Paul

I think that could happen if the OS isn't fully booting, can you see
anything on the broken display that assures you that Windows isn't
interrupted loading in any way? If not did you try pressing Esc several
times?

This post mentions an applet that can override Fn + F4

The Fn + F5 button doesn't work because it is being over-ridden by a
system tray applet in the bottom right-hand corner. This applet looks
like a blue square with a gray border, and is called "Intel extreme
graphics 2 for mobile". It replaces the Fn + F5 hardware approach with a
software approach.

Using this applet, I can direct the laptop's output to my TV. The only
thing is that I first have to set my laptop's primary screen to a
resolution that my TV accepts if I want to have the same display on both
my laptop and TV.

This applet has lots of options for setting up both my primary and
secondary displays, but up until now I've been ignoring it and didn't
realize what it does.

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-84730-ex...top-won-t-work