Old February 25th 05, 09:21 PM
philo

"newbietuesday" wrote in message
lkaboutcomputing.com...
..but those are not in production anymore either!

Anyway, I still have an abundance of AMD-K6's and old DIMMs, and old video
cards lying about.

I hate to toss them, so I was going to make a testbench from a new mobo w/
decent BIOS, learn a thing or two about hardware tweaking.

Mebe make a linux learning lab too...

500, 550 Mhz is perfect for a lot of simple applications, including
surfing.

I'd steer clean of anything that;s PC Chips!!!
that's about the only brand of mobo that i;ve had real problems with.
however if you can pick up a super socket7 mobo cheap on ebay...go for it...

over the last few years i bet i've taken at least 40 or more 386 and 486's
and popped a super7 mobo in them
and made quite useful machines...(most were amd-333 to 450's but i kept an
amd-550
for myself which i built in an old gateway 486-33 tower)
since i do a lot of parts trading... the average cost was about $3.00 each
total
using all surplus parts...
i gave most of them away on freecycle
but some of the people paid me a few dollars...
so basically my "hobby" is costing me nothing