Old February 25th 05, 08:41 PM
kony

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:20:53 -0500, "newbietuesday"
wrote:

..but those are not in production anymore either!

Anyway, I still have an abundance of AMD-K6's and old DIMMs, and old video
cards lying about.

I hate to toss them, so I was going to make a testbench from a new mobo w/
decent BIOS, learn a thing or two about hardware tweaking.

Mebe make a linux learning lab too...

500, 550 Mhz is perfect for a lot of simple applications, including
surfing.

What makes you think a socket 7 board would have any
relevent "new" features or a decent bios? Mostly, if
anything, they'd simply have new components which for most
cases means nothing useful except those that age over time
like the battery and capacitors.

I'd also expect that they're premium priced... might be
worthwhile to check a few local computer shops as they might
have socket 7 boards practically free. (Super) Socket 7 was
picky about things like AGP video cards though, whether it
is a good testbed or likely to work well with other parts is
subject to trial and error. If nothing else a web search
should find old products, or there's always ebay.