Old December 11th 10, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.perips.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Ant[_3_]

Default Upgrading my computer to GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R with an i7 950CPU...

On 12/10/2010 10:53 AM PT, Paul in Houston TX typed:

Overall, it is the best system that I have ever made.
Oh, the mb has PS2 ports, IDE ports, and one PCI,

Crap, only one PCI slot? I have four PCI cards (three TV tuners + SB
Audigy 2 ZS). I guess I could sacrifice my old non-HD TV card and
soundcard, but I still have two left.

I mean PCI, not PCIe. That mb has 2 pcie 16 slots, 2 pcie 8 slots
and 2 pcie 1 slots.
It will be difficult to find a decent mb with PCI slots nowadays.

Yeah. Wow, I didn't know they completely got rid PCI slots already.
Aren't PCIe supposed to be backward compatible with old PCI cards?

Don't know if they make them for quad core cpu's or not.
May have to get an old P4 board and cpu.

P4? Um, isn't that slower than my Intel Q8200 CPU system?

I had to get a PCI parallel card for my printer/fax/copier.
A usb to parallel will not work for 2 way com.

Why not buy a new printer/fax/copier instead or use it on another
computer that have parallel and network share?

I thought about that, but $13 for a parallel card was cheaper.
The other computers are not always on.

Ah. Ugh, technologies are going too fast!
--
"Whence we see spiders, flies, or ants entombed and preserved forever in
amber, a more than royal tomb." --Sir Francis Bacon in Historia Vitæ et