Old January 8th 05, 10:40 PM
Bonj

Bonj wrote:
Hello
I have ordered a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 1.8GHz chip and an Elite K8M800-M2 Skt
754 motherboard for it, with the intention of building up a 64-bit machine
for general stuff like games, programming etc. I've also ordered a fairly
cheap (but powerful - 500W) power supply off ebuyer for it.

Apparently the chip comes with a heatsink and fan. The power supply is the
cheapest 500W one on ebuyer, but it comes with "dual fans".

Question really, is does anybody reckon I should have any worries about this
configuration, and should I be thinking about getting any extra fans/cooling
systems etc.? If so what sort, where to put them, etc.?

OK, I built it up, and it runs fine. I put one exhaust fan at the back
below the motherboard, and an intake fan at the front. I also drilled an
array of holes in the front of the case to act as an air intake grill to
maximise the effectiveness of the front fan. I built it up, and it
worked fine first time. The (cheap) PSU has got two good chunky fans,
and doesn't make too much noise. The only slight concern was that one of
the PSU's fans is sticking out it's so big, so all the wires are bunched
up against it, but I've sort of managed to ram them in between the
drives giving it a bit more space. But the BIOS claims the chip
temperature to be 41c, which is pretty good - it's using the stock
heatsink and fan.