Old December 15th 07, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Xocyll

Default AMD writing down the ~$3.2 billion goodwill assumed in ATi purchase

"Lou" looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

"Tim O" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:03:29 GMT, "rms"

wrote:

There is no way in hell I'm buying Intel products next
year (or this
year). I want AMD/ATI to succeed.

rms

Competition is needed within the industry, and I also want
to see them
succeed, but they have to stand on their own by building a
competitive
product. I just bought a Pentium 6850 and Asus
motherboard. It's the
first non-AMD CPU I've purchased since the advent of the
first
Athlon's.

If they build the product they should be building, they
won't need
charity purchases.

I remember when (before Athlons) Intel was the standard CPU
and if you wanted to save some money you could buy the
cheaper (price and some thought quality) AMD CPU. I never
considered AMD as good as an Intel until the Athlon's came
out, then AMD seemed to have the upper hand on performance
and price.

Oh they were competitive long before that.
Dad had a Intel 386 DX 33, I had an AMD 386 DX 40, and mine was faster
(not the huge jumps that came later, but still faster.)

Move up to the pentium, and a friend of mine who was not terribly
computer literate bought (without asking for advice) a pentium 200,
while I bought an AMD K6-233. For $100 less I got a processor that beat
his in all tests (the extra 33MHz canceled out Intel's better floating
point performance.)

Xocyll