Old July 21st 03, 05:07 AM
Alceryes

I'd think if there were "background tasks" causing this that the newer
games
would be the ones that would suffer performance losses.

Just the opposite. These newer games know how to properly disable or (in the
case of an AV software) work around these 'background tasks'.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

(check out my modded/OC'd system at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alceryes)

"Stacey" wrote in message
Alceryes wrote:

Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

your new machine probably has a faster cpu than your other ones

many old apps will not work on extremely fast cpu's

WHAT!?! That's a new one on me...

I've heard of issue from this before

LiveWire, check to see if you have any scheduled tasks going on in the
background. Also disable any power mgmt. features and/or screen savers

and
turn off any Anti-virus software.