Old July 20th 03, 05:04 PM
Doug G.

In article ,
says...
Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

your new machine probably has a faster cpu than your other ones

many old apps will not work on extremely fast cpu's

WHAT!?! That's a new one on me... I've heard of older games running too fast
on older games but none that just refuse to work because the CPU is too fast
(mostly they don't work because of software incompatibilities).
LiveWire, check to see if you have any scheduled tasks going on in the
background. Also disable any power mgmt. features and/or screen savers and
turn off any Anti-virus software.
Also try R-clicking on the executable for the game and running it in DOS or
Win95 compatibility mode.
Hope this helps!!!

Actually it is true. I ran a DOS based Fidonet BBS for about 15 years
and when I upgraded to a CPU that passed 800MHz a few years back some of
my BBS programs would not run, most would exit with 'Runtime Error 200'.
I was able to get some of the programs running by patching the programs
..exe file with 'TpPatch'
http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~kl.../download.html

but others such as FrontDoor (my front end mailer) had to be fixed by
the author of the program.

There are other programs such as MoSlo http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/
designed to work around such problems, but I never had much luck with
them.

Also several old DOS based games suffered from the same problems with
fast CPU's.

Doug