Old March 13th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Power supply requirement for 2 Nvidia GTX in SLI?

Mr.E Solved! wrote:
Paul wrote:
huLLy wrote:
OK, my system:

AMD 6400 AM2 Processor
Asus M2N SLi Deluxe Mobo
4 Gig RAM
1 250GB Sata, 2*400GB Sata Drives
2x Nvidia 768M 8800GTX
XFi extreme gamer soundcard

My question is what size PSU will I need to run this lot when gaming?

Will a Hiper 730W do the trick??

I get a total of about 12V @ 37.1A, but it will be spread
across the rails, according to how the output is wired.
Some supplies use a single 12V output, which means not
having to figure out the distribution.

For total power I get (approximately) -

(12*37.1) + 50 + 3*5 + 1*7.5 + 10 = 528W

There is a manual for a 730W supply here.

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/do..._datasheet.pdf

Tracking where the +12V current flows, gives this. The
four PCI Express connectors, are spread one per rail.
That really isn't the best way of distributing the loading,
as the processor load on 12V2 is pretty significant, and
so 12V2 really shouldn't be used for more than the processor.

Video card = 12V_slot + 12V_EXT1 + 12V_EXT2
= 3.67A + 3.58A + 3.42A

Power supply rails, and resulting load distribution (0.5A for
fans, 3.3A for 3 hard drives and 1 optical drive)

PCI-Express 12V1 3.58 = 3.58A
ATX Main + PCI-Express 12V3 3.67 + 3.67 + 0.5 + 3.58 = 11.42A
ATX12V 2x2 + PCI-Express 12V2 12 + 3.42 = 15.42A
Drives + PCI-Express 12V4 3.3A + 3.42 = 6.72A

The Hiper supply could do the job. Or the following
Silencer 750W would also be suitable. This one uses
a single 12V rail, such that the user doesn't have to
worry about how the rail limits, like the ones above,
are policed by the supply.

Silencer 750

Paul

That was nice of you to do all that work for the OP, I hope he
appreciates it.

The part that bothers me about these multi-rail supplies, is whether
they'd actually get upset, if the rating printed on the label is
exceeded. That supply is a quad 16 amp, and the 12V2 is getting
pretty close to the limit. Some of the good sites that review
power supplies, find they can double the load on a single rail,
without the supply shutting off. I feel guilty doing the analysis,
like the one I attempted above, when I don't know for a fact that
the supply "tips over" at 16A. But I have to follow what I see on
the label, and pretend that what is printed on the label, is
gospel.

Paul