Old March 11th 06, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default SLI 7800GT or 1x 7900GT?

"Scotter" wrote in message
A lot of great choices.
Hmmm I'm not as confident about SLI yet so I'd probably find a buyer for
your current 7800GT or give it to a friend and buy one 7900 GTX but then I
realize that is a more pricey option and one 7900 GTX isn't going to give
much more performance than two 7800 GTs I suppose. Of course, that
fluctuates game-to-game.
Did you see the review/comparison he
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...ZW50aHVzaWFzdA
They actually show a lot about the exact situations you are thinking
about!

Thanks heaps for that Scotter - it was really helpful.

And, briefly looking over that, I think I will stick with my plan of buyinmg
a second 7800GT for SLI.
The performance gain in buying the new cards doesn't seem worth the extra
expense and bother. I like my games to look pretty, but I reckon a SLI
7800GT will be more than adequate for all the latest games for the next year
or so.

--
Scotter
Tyan Thunder K8WE
"DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote in message
Ok, so it appears that the 7900GT will cost a little bit more than a
7800GT costs right now (vendors depending, of course, and this in
Australia where everything is a little more expensive video-card wise).

If the 7900GT slightly exceeds the base clocks of a 7800GTX (450/1320 vs.
450/1250), I'm assuming 2x 7800GT (in SLI) will outperform a single
7900GT.

Um...is this right?

Essentially - should I go ahead and buy a second 7800GT (leadtex extreme
450/1050)?

Or wait and buy a single 7900GT?

I think this might turn out to be a very, very stupid question...but I
need reassurance!