Old September 4th 03, 12:35 PM
Bishoop

"tomcas" wrote in message
| Bishoop wrote:
|
| I couldn't find a display/monitor group so I'll try here.
|
| I have a Samsung 172N LCD display. So far I'm not real pleased with it.
| It's fine for everything except black on white text.
|
| If it's displaying black on white text and move the window horizontally
the
| test will appear to become lighter and darker in waves as it's moved
across
| the screen. I don't get the same affect while scrolling or moving the
text
| vertically.
|
| The end result is that text will be either light or dark depend on where
it
| falls along the horizontal axis. It's almost like the difference
between
| normal and bolded text in MS Word. Very annoying.
|
| In MS Word if I option it for white text on blue background and look
| horizontally along the text display it goes from pure white to bluish in
| waves with a period of about 1.75 inches.
|
| I'm using the native resolution of 1280 X 1024. Any text smoothing
effects
| like ClearType don't seem to make any difference.
|
| Is this something inherent in the display, improperly setup or something
| else.
|
| I've played around with display settings and different resolutions.
Lower
| resolutions have a set of problem all their own.
|
| I'm using a Matrox G400 graphics card which has excellent text quality
on
| any CRT monitor I've tried with it.
|
| Any suggestions or is this just welcome to LCD displays?
|

| The fix is very simple. You just need to adjust the "image lock". I
| suggest you dl the nokia tester and display the fine text test before
| performing the adjustment.
| ftp://ftp.fluidlight.com/pub/nospin_files/Nokia.zip
| Start by adjusting the the coarse first until you see the fuzzy lines
| change multiples and then direction. Then fine tune as required. By the
| way the 172N kicks ass. After borrowing a 172 I got a 192N for Cad which
| has the same native res but slightly larger pixel for those older
| eyes. I noticed the 192 does a much better job of auto setting the image
| lock than the 172 but manually setting it still yields the sharpest
| image of all the LCDs I tested.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I had played with the image lock previous to my posting except with a much
smaller area of text that the Nokia utility provides. Under these
conditions I could seen what was happening during adjustment.

I already had the Nokia program but never used it with the new Samsung. As
soon as I filled the whole screen with the Nokia text pattern and started
fooling with the image lock, viola, super clean black on white text, As a
further test he blue on white is crystal clear also.

Now I'm a happy camper....