Old September 3rd 03, 10:10 PM
Bishoop

Default LCD Displays

I couldn't find a display/monitor group so I'll try here.

I have a Samsung 172N LCD display. So far I'm not real pleased with it.
It's fine for everything except black on white text.

If it's displaying black on white text and move the window horizontally the
test will appear to become lighter and darker in waves as it's moved across
the screen. I don't get the same affect while scrolling or moving the text
vertically.

The end result is that text will be either light or dark depend on where it
falls along the horizontal axis. It's almost like the difference between
normal and bolded text in MS Word. Very annoying.

In MS Word if I option it for white text on blue background and look
horizontally along the text display it goes from pure white to bluish in
waves with a period of about 1.75 inches.

I'm using the native resolution of 1280 X 1024. Any text smoothing effects
like ClearType don't seem to make any difference.

Is this something inherent in the display, improperly setup or something
else.

I've played around with display settings and different resolutions. Lower
resolutions have a set of problem all their own.

I'm using a Matrox G400 graphics card which has excellent text quality on
any CRT monitor I've tried with it.

Any suggestions or is this just welcome to LCD displays?