Old May 1st 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

Default Which is better? GeForce 8600 GTS/Radeon X1700SE...

If you had to choose between the two, the 8600GTS in the Dell XPS is better,
hands-down. The X1700SE seems like an OEM-special card somewhere between an
X1650XT and X1800LE, while the -SE suffix denotes a castrated memory
interface.

The other option is equip either machine with the cheapest card available
and pick up an 8800GTS for $260 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082 It's much
faster than a 8600GTS and this particular brand carries a lifetime warranty.

"Tom & Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

We are about to buy a new computer and are looking at a Dell and an HP. I
don't want to start a Dell vs HP argument, but one of the components that
I am weighing into my decision is the graphics card. I realize that
neither of these is probably great, but want the best I can get.

The Dell XPS 410 has the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS w/ 256 MB memory.
The HP m8000y has the ATI Radeon X1700SE w/ 512 MB memory.

While I have been able to find some info on the GeForce, I know nothing
about the Radeon.

Or, would I be better off just getting the cheapest card option available
and buying my own?
I believe the Dell has a 375 watt PS and the HP has a 350 watt PS. What
could I get for either of those machines that would be better than the
above? I really lust for the GeForce 8800 GTX, but I have read that I
would need a much greater PS, and is a little pricier than I can go. (it
is an available option on the Dell, but is $700 more--and I thought it
needed a greater power supply anyway......)

Please go easy on me, I am not extremely well versed.......I just know
enough to be dangerous. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cindy