Old August 12th 05, 07:00 PM
J. Clarke

Dragoncarer wrote:

"Olaf" wrote in message
.. .
Are there any?

I bought a new mobo late last year to go with an AMD 4000. I already had
an X800 Pro, AGP, so I didnt feel like going PCI Express at the time (and
they were brand new) and having to get a new GFX card.

Well, now I want a 7800 but it seems like they are PCI-X only? Why is
that? Does anyone know if the next gen ATI part will have an AGP version?
The R520 or whatever it is?

TIA
olaf

At this stage, only the PCI-E (PCI-X refers to an outdated technology,

Tell Intel that it's "outdated". All of their server boards have it.
You're confusing "high end" with "outdated".

while most people don't care - I don't - watch out for technodweebs who'll
crack it, just a friendly warning

You should care, otherwise one of these days you're going to order a PCI-X
something or other and wonder why you can't put it in your PCI Express
slot.

) versions of the 7800 line are
available. I haven't heard anything about nVidia releasing AGP versions.

But perhaps with enough customer demand, they may produce some. Start
whingeing to nVidia now!!!

As for ATI, I have no idea. They may manufacture some AGP, it might help
to give them a little bit of a better footing against nVidia.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate