Old July 17th 04, 12:25 AM
Bob Street

I had to trash my 8500DV after upgrading drivers. I started getting red
spots and it went down hill from there.

"patrickp" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:07:21 +0100, "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

Hi

Sorry to be so long winded with this. Just hope that someone can assist
me
in cleaning this up...

Having just finished a fresh install of Win XP Pro I downloaded the

lastest
CATALYST 4.6 display drivers to replace the 2001 drivers (which are
pitifully buggy) that Windows update had obtained and installed.

The install instructions for 4.6 very specifically states that all the
old
drivers must be removed before attempting to install the new ones.

I carefully followed the instructions which say go to control panel,
add/remove programs and remove "ATI display driver".

This is the first stumbling block as the ATI display driver isnt in the
list. So I went to
cp/display/settings/advanced/adaptor/properties/driver
and clicked on uninstall driver.

All seemed OK but upon restarting, windows XP auto detects "new"
hardware
and installs the drivers I just removed. I then get caught in a loop of
attempting remove and then auto detect reinstalls them!

So to hell with it I thought a

So,how did you fare, Ian?

patrickp

- take five to email me