Old October 21st 03, 10:52 AM
Ben Pope

zlo wrote:
This game has been running like crap on my system. It hasn't even been
playable at 800x600, or 1024x768. I've heard about issues with AA so i
always turn it off. My system is 1.2 athlon, 512DDR, 9700pro, 4x agp.

CPU is pretty slow (in terms of cutting edge - I'm not sure what Halo
typically requires)

Well i thought i would do something really stupid, out of boredom. I
bumped it up to 1600x1200 to see how low i could go with my framerate. I
could let it sit, and just watch the screen at 16x12 and dream about what
it would be like to see it move smoothly at such a nice res. Low and
behold, it runs a 100% better at 1600x1200! Why??? It's actually playable
now, and if i had a faster cpu, i bet it would run even smoother all the
time.

Thats interesting to say the least. Did you ONLY change the resolution?
Did bumping the resolution that high disable something else (like, I
dunno... AA)

It's really awesome to finally see this game in hi res, but i don't
understand why it runs so much better at 1600x1200 than 800x600. The only
thing i can think of is that by raising the res, it's telling the card to
take more of the load rather than the cpu?

Nah, what the CPU does and what the GPU does is pretty clearly defined by
the drivers, regardless of resolution. I suspect that raising the
resolution disabled something else, that was causing the game to run slow.

With the exclusion of AA and
AF, this is true of my other games too. I get better framerates at
1600x1200 than i do at 1024x768.

That is odd. I always run at 1600x1200 so I can't say I've noticed :-)

Ben