Old February 7th 04, 12:20 AM
DaveW

Yes.

--
DaveW

"Evan Cooch" wrote in message
Greetings -

I have 4-5 machines in my office, and at home, all using high-end big

(19 - 21
inch) CRT-based monitors. However, for a variety of reasons, I want to

purchase
LCD monitors for a couple of the machines. I've been doing the requisite
background reading, and have looked at a number of the tech specs for some
monitors that in my price range.

However, I'm puzzled as to the relative merits/value of some specs, which

I see
touted over an over. Specifically, 'contrast ratio', and 'brightness'.

Now, I
know 'technically' what these are, but I'm puzzled what the relative
advantage/disadvantages are in real use, for some monitors whihc have the

same
price, but different specs.

For example, comparing Samsung's 180 and 171 17-inch LCD's. Basically the

same
price, same dimensions, same everything - except one has a 450:1 contrast

ratio
(compared to 350:1), and a 270 nit brightness, compared to 250.

It isn't just Samsung - I can find many examples of monitors that are

basically
the same price, where the only real difference is contrast ratio and/or
brightness.

So, is there really any perceptible difference between 350:1 vs 450:1 for
contrast ratio, or 270 vs 250 for brightness? All other things being equal
(which they seem to be, more or less), is it generally the best strategy

to go
for higher CR and brightness scores?

Thanks in advance...