Old January 27th 04, 08:53 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article ,
(scott) wrote:

Hmmm, what would be better though, an XP1800 with 9800pro,
or XP2800 with 9800SE?

The processor boost would be very useful generally, but IME most
FPS games are very much graphics-limited, hence the high frame
rates with associated benchmarks. I spend most of my time in
flight or driving sims, where the CPU tends to get thrashed
within an inch of its life, and frame rates are rarely
consistently high (at least not high by FPS players' standards).
But that leaves plenty of headroom for maximum FSAA/aniso
settings usually, which is superb.

I just want to be able to play the games I have already

In that case the SE will be fine, I'm sure. It benchmarks around
the 9600Pro area, and that's a good card for the money, probably
preferable to a 9800se actually. The only reason I bought one
was for the AIW features I needed... ok, wanted :-)

Andrew McP