Old May 4th 08, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
CarpathiaMan

Default BFG video cards and overclocking

Mr.E Solved! wrote:

CarpathiaMan wrote:
Hey all,

Any BFG video card owners here doing their own overclocking?

I'm trying to get an idea of how strict they are with the
enforcement of their warranty.

I've searched around, but I'm finding conflicting answers.

Peace.

You broke your video card by OCing, is that your motivation?

Did you ask these groups for advice and limits regarding OCing before
you went ahead and broke your card, it's not like you don't know how
to crosspost....let me check the archives...hmm...nothing here
...nope you didn't ask!

Phew..aren't you glad you didn't break your card? Now, go ask BFG
directly what their policy is, and don't break your card. GPU OCing
is highly overrated these days, it's not like it used to be.

Yes, I've already overclocked my new 9800 GTX card. Technically I did
do some research on the whole topic of overclocking before I ever
ventured into it. I noticed that even companies like EVGA don't mind
if their users do it, and they also go so far as to have a forum topic
dedicated to it on their website. Plus it's a fairly popular thing to
do nowadays. Based on all of this I ended up jumping to the conclusion
that a company like BFG ("The Gamer's Choice") wouldn't mind. I've
seen more than one Newegg review for BFG hardware in which overclocking
is mentioned. Then I discovered through further research that such an
act may void the warranty. So maybe I made a mistake; I don't know.

I have my card only moderately overclocked, so I don't think I'm
stressing it out too much. I initially had it at more aggressive
settings, but it was a little unstable, so I eased back, and now
everything seems fine.

I personally don't think I'm breaking my card by doing this . . . if
the darn thing wasn't working right it would have shown major evidence
of it by now, which it hasn't. I've been doing plenty of gaming with
it since I bought it.

I know the difference between my stock settings and my OC settings are
minimal, and that it only gives me a couple hundred extra points in
3DMark and maybe two or three extra frames per second in my games, but
I just think that half the fun of building and owning your own PC is
optimizing it to get the best performance out of it.

If my card dies on me and BFG refuses to cover it, then I will have
learned a valuable lesson. That's life! I'll deal with it if it
happens and move on.