Old May 12th 04, 08:54 AM
*Vanguard*

Trent© said in :
On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:00:35 -0500, "*Vanguard*"
wrote:

Windows XP Pro SP-1
HP DeskJet 970Cse (parallel port)

When my computer system is turned on (cold boot), the printer starts
up. Its head starts moving back and forth (that's typical) but it
also feeds in a sheet of paper (not typical). However, the paper
feed stops with the edge of the paper just after the exit rollers so
it is stuck partially inserted. On occasion, and after a couple
minutes, it will fully eject the paper, but it should never have
injected the paper in the first place.

This is not a Windows driver problem. This occurs immediately on
bootup and is probably before the POST even completes. I know a
reset gets sent to all devices to put them into a known state. The
printer is connected to the parallel port. No operating system is
even loaded at the point when the printer starts going through its
power-on throes. If the printer is off when the computer is powered
on and I later turn on the printer, no problem. If I power on the
printer with the parallel cable detached, no problem. So it is the
initialization of the parallel port that causes the problem (and
when the printer is on during that initialization).

Other than having to remember to power off the printer before
powering up the computer, got any suggestions as to a fix? What
could the parallel port be sending to the printer that would make it
partially inject (and not fully eject) a sheet of paper? Why would
powering up the parallel port even send a paper feed to the printer?

Try/answer Noozer's suggestions/questions.

Besides that...

Did this ALWAYS happen?...from day one. Or is this a problem that
just developed.

My guess...without more much-needed info...

Printer somehow got configured to eject page upon startup. So it
starts the eject...but is stopped because of all the other startup
processes.

Ejecting a sheet of paper before PRINTING is not unusual. Its a
feature that can be set on most printers. That's why more info is
needed. It may simply be a leftover configuration setting from one of
your printing programs.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

I'm keeping Noozer's post marked as unread and watching this thread
until I can get at this problem in a couple days from now. Got super
busy right now. Looks like I won't get to this until the weekend.

This was not a problem on my old Pentium 3 system that had an Aopen
AX6BC motherboard. It is now attached to a new system but I don't
recall this happening at first. Built this new Abit NF7-S system back
at the start of January and only recall this symptom starting in the
last 3 weeks. I originally had the BIOS configured to use ECP+EPP mode
(and let the printer figure out what it would support). I have never
used SPP even on my old system since, I believe, one of the extended
modes is needed to support the commands from their software toolbox to
the printer (i.e., to get status, ink reserve, detection of the 2-sided
module, etc.). I also tried ECP and EPP separately but found nothing of
interest (i.e., nothing got faster or better). It's not like HP puts
anything in their printer manuals to tell you what is the best mode to
use with a particular model. I can't tell which is current mode until I
reboot to check (not something AIDA32 can tell me), so that might be
something I play with.

Using the same parallel cable as was used before. It's a well shielded
IEEE1284 spec'd cable for bidirectional mode. I've got one spare
printer cable to test with. The printer and computer are on the same
2kVA true sinusoidal UPS that weighs 120 pounds (60 for the huge
isolating transformer and another 60 for the 2 large batteries). I will
try disabling the parallel port to see if a power spike is the problem.
There is nothing programmable for features, like page eject before
printing. There's no reset (other than powering it off) to see if I
could unscramble some corrupted settings in the printer.

The printer is already powered on (without problem), and it is after I
power on the computer that the printer starts moving the heads and
partially ejects one sheet of paper. This occurs immediately when I hit
the power button. I don't think the reset signal has even been sent yet
as part the POST. I will check that. The LEDs on the keyboard flash
when the global reset is sent to initialize devices. I'll check if the
printer starts before or after the keyboards LEDs flash.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.