Old February 27th 04, 01:45 AM
Mary

"JLC" wrote in message
news:dZv%b.403898$I06.4382986@attbi_s01...

"Mary" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
As far as I know the drivers are supposed to be completely removed. AT
least I used the ATI software uninstall utility in Add/remove programs

and
even the utility is not in add/remove programs any more. But maybe there

is
something else that is causing the problem. I just don't know what it

is.
might have to end up reformatting my drive, and even then what if the
software doesn't work.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Mary

Mary, I'd forget all about that CD OK? You have the right drivers that

you
DL'ed from ATI. When you finally get this figured out the install with not
ask for the CD. The CD should have worked. I have a Sapphire 9800Pro and

the
CD I have say's Sapphire on it but when I load it it's a pure ATI install
CD. I didn't not use my CD I never do. I always DL'ed the latest drivers

for
what ever it is I'm installing.

Hi: So it doesn't matter if the CD I have is Sapphire? but just curious - Is
the same Sapphire card that I have used for all 9000 Series video cards?
Just wondered - Are all Sapphire install cards the exact same as ATI install
cards for the same video cards, except they have the Sapphire name on the
install CD?

I still have my old video card in my computer. I haven't done anything more
on the Radeon card today yet.

Tell you what, this is a long shot but try this. Do a word search in your
Windows dir for any files with ATI in them. This way you can find that inf
file I'm talking about. '98 is like this. I've had the same thing happen

me so many times I lost count with other programs I've installed over the
years.

I just lookled at Windows/inf and there are some ati files in ther but I am
not sure which one you are referring to. A few of them are
ativrvxx.inf,atvttxx.inf, ativxsxx.inf, ati19xwdm.cat, atitunep.inf - and a
few similar ones. Do you think anyof them are what you mean?

Once a install goes bad. it's hell getting it fixed. Don't give up! I
know that you'll get this fixed and you won't have to do a format.

Hell is right. A format is the last straw, but sometimes.... what can you do
but that.
As long as the video card is not defective, maybe I can get it installed, so
I hope its not that.
How can I tell if the video card is 9000 pro? Only a white sticker on the
card says it is.

Could
be
that the disc is defective. Did you look at it? Its it dirty or scratched
up? Mary stick to the drivers you DL'ed OK? It's a safe bet that you'll

get
them to work.

The CD looks ok and I checked it with checker.exe which is a good CD
checker.So I think its ok,.

Also one last thing and forgive me if you have said you already did this,
but have you gone to Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Adapter/and
changed your display
driver to Standard VGA ? then Reboot. This is the way a lot of people

change
their drivers.

Yes, its a good idea to do that. I have always done it myself.
Standard VGA line is in Display in Device manager, because that is what I am
using now with my old card, as that would be all it needs. its a pretty old
card, but good thing I kept it as I am able to use it while I sort this
present mess out with the new video card (if I ever do get it solved).

I used to do it also, but with '2000 just removing them
with
add/remove works fine. This is one way to make sure you don't have any old
files loaded. Also another idea is to try and install the drivers in safe
mode. I've never had to do this but that would work the same way. You

might
what to try that.

I am not sure if I tried that, but I will try it again. I am going to put
the new card back in again in a little while, but I am getting tired of it
not working. I don't mind challenges,but once I do things over and over, I
get very frustrated and want to give up.

Also remember one important thing. Every time you try
and
install the drivers and it fails you have to make sure and remove all the
files again. Hang in there! JLC

I just click on the ATI uninstall utility which is in add/remove programs.
But your're right, ites easy to forget to do that.
Thanks again.

Mary