Old December 1st 04, 11:50 AM
Johnny

Bill Smith wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:52:47 -0000, "Johnny"
wrote:

This is a repost as the other didn't appear so if it pops up twice,
sorry.

I posted a while ago the dismal performance I'm getting with this
board and a Prescott 3.0ghz cpu with 2 x 512K crucial 2-2-2-5 ddr400
memory. I've noticed the passmark cpu tests give significant
differences but not entirely sure if that's not unusual - is it
possible the cpu or motherboard is faulty even though the system
works albeit relatively slowly. This thing has me totally flummoxed
and perplexed. I've swapped out a power supply from another machine
with no change (don't know why but thought it might be a power
issue). I haven't got access to another 800FSB cpu to compare and
not sure I'll get any sense out of the tech support as it is
actually working which is frustrating in the extreme. If I select
turbo mode the board dies - it literally blacks out completely
requiring a hard power off to get bios back with the post message
that overclocking failed??? I'm really getting ****ed off with this
now - is it likely the cpu or mainboard are faulty or just a combo
of the two, who knows?

what video are you running and drivers as well ? You would be
surprised how one piece of hardware can ruin your day, even if it's
good...Swap vendors, say ati for nvidia or vice versa...try an agp
card that is 4x not 8x...

or try this: get your mits on a tried and true quality pci video card
(ie: ati 7xxx with 32mb ddr). Remove the agp card and install the pci
card and see how your system performs.

It sounds like you have some pretty good hardware, just finding the
right combination will make all the difference...

or else your board is foobar...

My thoughts about the board, cpu and memory are similar at this point. The
gfx card is a 256MB ATI radeon 9600XT at 8x on AGP.

I'll give it a swap out for a PCI card. I also noticed the CPU temperature
jumps to 48-50C when hyperthreading is disabled. Once I enable
hyperthreading and watch asusprobe I see it drop back to 38-40C though
obviously this means the performance is crap as well. I'm at the stage now
of contacting the vendor and telling them I want replacements or money back.

The memtest86 results are showing several errors in the RAM as well, I left
it running all night and see the same addresses cropping up on each pass
(although on different tests bizarrely). It's a long, long time since i've
had problems like this.