Old January 28th 05, 07:29 PM
John Smith

Just a quick thougth, Win98SE support the chipset on the new MB?

"I.C. Koets" wrote:

I have a problem that quite frankly baffles me, so I might not tell it right
since I have no clue what is actually going on.

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw
Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

The problem is that the drivers will not install.

When I run the setup program of the chipset (supplied by Intel) I get the
error message that no Intel chipset is found on my pc. It then fails to
install any component. Even manual installation of the .inf files by using
the -a -a switch on the setup program, and then forcing the computer to
accept from me it has hardware that needs these drivers, results in no shown
components in the Device Manager after reboot. They just won't install.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

What is going on? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Many thanks in advance.