Old January 15th 05, 07:32 PM
kony

On 14 Jan 2005 17:50:04 -0800, "john_D"
wrote:

Hi there,

I plan to build a dual CPU computer. I haven't followed what's new on
harware stuff from the (old) times of PIII or AMD1.0-1.2 GHz.

I have a couple of question to start with:

1) Is it OK to build a dual CPU computer based on Pentium 4 rather
than Xeon?
For example does P4 2.66GHz B have 'what it needs' to be used in a
dual CPU setup? -By dual CPU setup I mean 2 CPUs on the same
motherboard.

No you need Xeons.

2) Which kind of Athlon have hyperthred.

None, and it (HT) becomes even less useful for an SMP box
than a single CPU based system.

... and can be used for a dual
setup?(I remember last time -few years ago-I've checked AMD-MP was good
for SMP)

"MP" is the official SMP product. "Regular" Athlons can be
hacked to do SMP (connecting a certain bridge together,
IIRC, a Google search will find this info).

3) What motherboard would you recomend for a dual core setup based on
Pentium / or AMD. I hint for such SMP 2CPUs motherboard brand at
around 200$.

What is the function of the system?
Does it need GbE, 66MHz PCI, integrated video or AGP slot or
??? what?

There's a lot less variety in those boards, you'll need
consider the use, role of the system. If it's just going to
be the equivalent of a desktop PC, reusing the AGP card you
mentioned and putting it in a standard (typical but large)
ATX chassis, then something like a Tyan 7505 might work.