Old April 26th 04, 12:29 PM
Dimitris

Henrik Dissing wrote in message . ..
On 23 Apr 2004 02:59:16 -0700, Dimitris wrote:

From a thermodynamic standpoint, is that even possible?

I think it is possible , rather very logical i would say from a
thermodynamic and fluiddynamic point of view. That is because the
processor has larger fan and it dissipates the heat away, but the hot
air goes and stays around the system chip(northbridge) which has much
smaller fan, and it is very near to the proccesor.

I suppose it comes down to what is meant by "system temperature". If it
reflects the temperature of something which itself produces heat, such as
the north bridge chip, you could be right.

However, all the system temperature reporting motherboards that I have come
about had a sensor mounted in safe distance from and significant heat source
and did therefore give a good indication of the air temperature in case. The
CPU temperature was always reported significantly higher than the system
temperature.

Even if the system temperature isnt that of the northbridge chip, if
the temperature sensor is located at a point with bad air flow(out of
reach of external cool air), then heat leaves other components (cpu,
hard disks) and is accumulated to that point(this can be done with
internal flow patterns of hot air ).
I believe that the system temperature is made up as an average of
northbridge temp and another one or two temperatures sensors across
the board, or maybe other important chips like southbridge. But
because northbridge temp becomes high(due to the reason i mention in
my first message), the average becomes also high.