Old April 23rd 04, 01:31 AM
Heckler ²°°³

Orange Barrel wrote:
The system temperature on my computer is always higher than the CPU
temperature. For example, the current CPU temp is 41.1C, while the
system temp is 47C. The relative difference remains constant even
under load.

From a thermodynamic standpoint, is that even possible?

I asked GB tech support if the sensor display was reversed, and they
assured me that the temperature difference would be "normal if you
got a slower CPU and better heat sink fan."

I'm running an XP 2700+ (stock timings) with a CoolerMaster HHC-001
H/F on a 7VAXP Rev 1.2. It's inside an Antec Sonata case (380W
TruePower P/S) with a 60GB and a 200GB hard drive. All three mem
slots are occupied (Kingston PC 2700 512 MB).

I've searched for an answer to this and gotten nothing but conflicting
information. Any help would be appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, how often should the H/F be reseated and
thermal paste reapplied? Two months ago, my CPU temp was 36C idle,
and now it idles at 40-41C. I work in a relatively dusty environment,
so some of it is attributable to dust accumulation. Should I be
concerned about the idle temp? Load temp now peaks at 48C CPU and 52C
system.

I've had similar readings on my board (7VAXP Ultra), CPU temps (XP2800) were
39º and system temps were 42º. However after making some changes to the
case, adding soundproofing and ambient temps in this region have risen due
to a change in season... CPU temps are now 45º, but system temps remain
constant at 42º.

This would indicate that there is something wrong with the readings I'm
getting. I used to have an old Matsonic cheapo MB, and the system temps on
that thing used to jump around between 30-50º, and the CPU temps always read
56-58º, and upto 62º under load... I never believed them though, simply
because after swapping the CPU and Heatsink into another board in an
identicle case... case and cpu temps were 34 and 48º respectively... the
same heasink in my other PC on a faster CPU gives an even lower 45º... and
swapping heatsinks out for faster and more efficient ones (going from AMD
standard HS (alluminium) to an all copper coolermaster Delta heatpipe, and
then a coolermaster all copper aero 7) all gave identical temps... and
there's no way on earth that that's possible.