Old November 4th 03, 06:21 AM
default

"Falkentyne" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:38:40 GMT, "default"
enlightened us by scribbling this gem of wisdom:

The WHQL versions of the drivers don't have the TNT1 cards in the .inf

file.
You can easily add the missing bits to support these cards and then

install
the driver. The 52.16 driver works great on the TNT cards that I have

here,
both PCI and AGP versions. The non WHQL drivers all had TNT support as

do
most of the beta and oem versions you see referenced here. Still it is

easy
to fix for any of the drivers. nVidia has said that their unified
architecture means that new drivers work with old cards and vice versa.

It
is just a matter of whether the appropriate entries are in the inf file.

If
they are missing, just add them back in.

You can also use the quadro certified drivers which usually have TNT
support.

But doing that causes you to deal with all the broken games, usually
older ones. (many people have said that UT is corrupted in the
52.16).

When you're card doesn't support T&L, and you're playing older non T&L
games, why not use a known good driver, such as the 21 series drivers,
or the 30.82's, etc ?

of course it may be hard to find an older driver set these days.
I used to have -every- driver released from 5.13 to the 43's on my HD,
until my D: drive failed and I didn't bother to copy the drivers away
when I could (not like I had a use for them...)

So far it hasn't been a problem. I still have all the detonator drivers for
the card going all the way back to driver 0.36 and 0.48 and then the first
detonator 1.09 etc. I bought the TNT cards (diamond viper v550 16mb pci and
agp) when they first came out. I have upgraded the nVidia drivers as they
came out along the way. With the 52.16 drivers, it still seems to work well
and many new features have been added to the drivers that make the card
nicer to use. Nothing appears to have been lost and the better D3D and
openGL support have allowed the card to continue to be able to run recent
software even if it is too slow to be able to really use on current games,
at least it works. Also for CAD applications, the performance of these old
cards has still improved as the openGL support has improved.

I bought the TNT cards in late 1998. How many other 5 year old graphic
cards are still getting driver updates? I have no complaints with regard to
the TNT1 cards.