Old January 27th 05, 11:23 AM
Paul

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article ddzJd.6348$IJ5.267@okepread02, "Richard Higgins"
wrote:

If you are going to use an Athlon 64 and use Microsoft Word, don't get a
Radeon 9800. I don't know about any other Radeons. Their driver

(Catalyst)
and MS Word do not play together well. Running MS Word will cause your
system to automatically reboot, usually within 2 minutes after MS Word has
started.

If you are having this problem already, uninstall the Radeon driver and see
if MS Word works. You'll see that it does. Reinstall the drivers and MS
Word won't work.

There are some that have installed old versions of the Radeon drivers and
even Radeon 9600 drivers for their Radeon 9800 and got MS Word to work with
it.

Radeon's fix is to dummy down the board to where you might as well have
gotten a cheap generic graphics card.

My solution was to get an nVidia 6800. Works like a charm.

-------------
Richard A. Higgins

I also noticed in those other threads of yours, that you use
two monitors. Presumably this is a dual head config off the
same video card.

Hydravision is a package from ATI, which can be used to manage
multiple monitors. Google shows some hits for Hydravision
and Microsoft applications. The ATI site (with its
lousy search engine) doesn't have anything helpful in
terms of Hydravision and associated bugs.

This thread claims that Windows can manage the two instances
of hardware that show in Device Manager, for a dual head card.
Hydravision is apparently not needed to use dual heads.

http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76068

I bet if you were to uninstall the Nvidia drivers, uninstall
the Nvidia video card, install the ATI video card, install
ATI Catalyst driver only, that you could run two monitors
and not see the same kind of issues with MS Word. If you
avoid installing Hydravision, your problems might just
disappear.

Why not contact ATI and ask them whether Hydravision
works with Microsoft applications ?

http://apps.ati.com/cservice/webformcontact.asp

Paul