Old May 14th 07, 05:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fred Mau

Default Which notebook?

J David Ellis wrote in
:

The product line is so large at dell.com that I can't
interpret it. Can someone suggest the right notebook for
running Photoshop (16-bit per channel color and 12-megapixel
camera files), Premiere Pro, Audition, Dreamweaver. Lots of
RAM, lots of pixels, a fast CPU and lots of hard-drive space
are basic requirements. Absolutely no interest in watching
TV or movies. No video games. The notebook will travel North
America in an RV so it needs to be sturdy.

When I bought an Inspiron 7500 six years ago, i simply went
down the list of notebooks and chose the heaviest one. That
turned out to be a good method then. Dunno if it works today.

Suggestions appreciated. --David

I use a Latitude D610 (about 1-1/2 yrs old) for similar tasks, mostly
Photoshop and AutoCad. If I can assume the newer D620 and/or D630 are of
similar quality, those would be my recomendations.

Some of my colleagues use the Precision laptops for the same thing, but to
be honest I haven't seen the advantage of going THAT far. They may have the
advantage in absolute specsmanship, but in day-to-day usage it seems to be
a wash.