Old September 4th 15, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default Replace LCD CCFL Backlight with LEDs.

~misfit~ wrote:

Also I had a primary side capacitor blow its top in an Enermax PSU many
years ago. The PSU was used and had been on my shelf for a few months, I
fitted it into a PC case, hooked everything up and flicked the power switch
on the back of the PSU and it went off like a shotgun. It split the top of
the can and blew the black plastic disk that sat there through the slots in
the PSU case and right across the room. My ears were ringing for hours.

Having been present for a similar event, and losing hearing in
one ear for ten minutes (my right ear), I can sympathize. One
of the reasons I do the math and work out the joules on
some of these things now, is after my little "hearing" event.

And that's why you don't want those to fail. Too hard on the ears.

I do have two of these monitors that are identical which is part of the
reason I think it's worth working out how to run LED backlights. The second
monitor was on my guest machine and used much less often. However since I
swapped them in preparation to pulling the dim one down (and waiting for the
NZ$ to recover a bit) the brighter one (backlight set at 60%) has developed
'flickery lines' when used in game. That's not a backlight issue and is more
likely to be the low voltage smoothing caps maybe? The graphics card GPU and
RAM isn't O/Ced and was fine previously (although I know that doesn't rule
out it recently developing a problem).

Cheers,

At the rate you're going, you're going to need a new monitor anyway.
To have something that works well enough to use.

The flicker problem can be due to a technique described here.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mon...ameters_4.html

Paul