Old September 30th 03, 09:38 AM
Alan

I will assume you mean that your board is running at Barton 3200 settings,
not 3200MHz speed? Did you also set your CPU_FSB jumper from 266/333 to
200FSB?

You might find it can do more, your temps at 46C is also fine, is that idle
temp, what is your case and room temp? Oddly enough your BIOS version can
also affect the temperature, so be sure to compare with others with the same
BIOS.

I am using an Abit board and the same processor, AMD HSF, it reads 41C with
a room temp of 22C case temp of 26C. However I am running slightly faster
FSB 205 and at CPU @1.70V.

You can replace the HSF to another model for lower temps and increased
noise, many run into the 5000RPM. The most recent AMD HSF are running
typically about 3200 RPM, and they are using a copper/aluminum design, I
find them adequate and quiet. They are always updating their HSF as I found
another XP2500 HSF ran at about 3700RPM and had a slightly different design
(also about 2C cooler).

As for your battery removal, you are right it is a pain, but it is the only
way with the Asus boards. On most other boards, you do not need to remove
the battery, simply reset the jumper temporarily. I have no idea why Asus
choses to make it so inconvenient.

Be careful tweaking this board, read the newsgroups and you will find that
sometimes this board's BIOS can corrupt or die rather than reset. Mine had
to be replaced twice. It still has a good reputation, but watch out for
this weakness.

Hope this helps,

Alan

"Bolton Gate" wrote in message
I have just overclocked my new XP 2500 Barton CPU (PIB) at 3200Hz on an

Asus
A7N8X V2 Del MB with CPU voltage as set for 2500, my Crucial PC3200 memory
set to 100%, agp set to 66MHz and memory voltage left at 2.6V at with
timings 2.5/3/3/7. My pc is running very fast and stable but my cpu temp

in
asus probe is showing at 46 C.

How good is the AMD HSF that it came with, is it different than the one

that
comes with the 3200 CPU. Is this temp level average or should I aim to
lower it by changing the HSF?

When I mess around with the memory timings such as 2/2/2/5 and set the
voltage to 2.7 it would not post and I had to do a hard reset by removing
the battery and moving a jumper. Is this normal? Bit of a pain to set as

have to remove on of the cards inside.

Bryan