Old February 6th 21, 12:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul[_28_]

Default Little bit misleading advertising by Apple, Macbook Air M1

skybuck2000 wrote:
This website:
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

Statements the following:

"Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports"

^ This is a bit misleading.

The name of the standard, is without the space character.

It is not "USB 4".

Officially the name is "USB4".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB4#Name

"Name

The USB4 specification version 1.0, released 29 August 2019,
uses "Universal Serial Bus 4" and "USB4". Several news reports
before the release of that version use the terminology
"USB 4.0" and "USB 4".[3][4] Even after publication of rev 1.0
some knowingly write "USB 4", claiming "to reflect the way
readers search".[5]
"

It's not "misleading". It is "incorrect".

And the sentence needs elaboration, because:

"compatibility with Thunderbolt 3 is only optional
for USB4 hosts and USB4 peripheral devices"

You don't know what you're buying, unless someone
writes the specifications out for you. What
rates does it run at ? 10Gb/sec ? 20Gb/sec ? 40Gb/sec ?

This is why I tend to ignore and discount the latest
standards, as they do not have precise definitions
and thus, who gives a ****.

Why would I buy "mystery meat" at the grocery store,
when it's easy for the store to properly label the meat ?
As a result, I do not eat such mysterious products.

Does it have a headphone jack ?

Or do I need Thunderbolt headphones ? :-)

Paul