Old November 27th 06, 06:45 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Spammay Blockay

Default Annoying buzz during main drive activity - drive or case at fault?

I have a 2-year-old Dell Dimension from an old job that I
beefed up with a new SATA board and 2 new Seagate 320GB
7200rpm SATA-2 drives.

I sometimes hear a vibration/buzz coming from the case. It's
noticable, although not scarily loud.

This seems to happen when I'm accessing the main drive.
It stops when disk activity is low.

I get no disk errors, and diagnostics I ran on both drives come
out clean.

I'm wondering if this is more likely the drive itself, or the
quick-swap mounting system DELL uses... the green plastic rails
screwed to the drive, which slide into the bays in a pretty
loose fashion. Definitely not as secure as screwing the drives
to metal rails in a metal box-style bay. I'm wondering if it's
normal drive vibration, but the mounting system allows it to
vibrate freely within this assembly.

Anyone ever have this problem? I don't want to have to replace
the drive, only to find out it were merely the mounting. I suppose
I could crack the case and old each drive as I put it through its
paces, although the clamshell design of the case (and the
pigeonhole my computer fits in) makes this inconvenient.

- Tim