Old August 23rd 04, 11:25 PM
Nate Edel

In comp.sys.intel David Brown wrote:
Win32S was available before Win95, as was NT 3.51 (I believe NT 3.5 was the
first easily-availble version of NT - marketing's idea of persuading people
that it was a mature product).

NT 3.1 was the first version available, with the 3.1 selected to be in
parallel with the version of (non-NT) Windows available at the time.

not support multi-tasking. It was mainly used for "big" programs, like CAD,
or development tools, which could take advantage of the better memory
management.

And for a lot of the Windows 3.x web browsers. I remember deploying a ton
of copies of Win32s so the lawyers I was supporting could use some
now-archaic version of netscape while the higher-ups in IT planned how to
transition to Win 95 (and then to WinNT 4, which was what we ended up moving
to, right around when I left.)

--
Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

"I do have a cause though. It is obscenity. I'm for it." - Tom Lehrer