Old April 27th 08, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:46:34 -0700, Andy wrote:

:On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:41:47 -0700, Dan Musicant )
:wrote:
:
:Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
:I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
:second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.
:
:However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
:of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
:pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
:asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
:greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
:what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
:setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.
:
:In order for standby to work, you have to install the Windows XP
:driver for the video card.

After removing my display adapter and rebooting, I tried to install that
driver I mentioned in my last post ( 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe),
but a message eventually came up that it couldn't support the
hardware/software (don't recall the exact wording) and the installation
terminated. So, I looked around in my downloads folder and found another
nvidia driver, which indicated XP and Windows 2000 support in the file
name: 66.93_win2kxp_international.exe, and my notes indicate this is a
WHQL approved driver. I installed it instead, and the ACPI support
appears to have NOT changed.

Under Computer in Device Manager it says:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

I presume that means that XP install determined that the system is
capable of ACPI support and that it was enabled. However, when I shut
down the system in Task Manager the first two items are greyed out:

Stand By (greyed out)
Hibernate (greyed out)
Turn Off
Restart
Log Off my name
Switch User

I'm wondering if I should try another XP installation, first removing
all my PCI cards.

I have the latest BIOS installed for my motherboard, F14.

Today being Sunday, I will wait until tomorrow before calling Gigabyte
support.