Old September 19th 09, 03:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mikel Sunova

Default ASUS EAH4850

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
2) I dunno. Do you have any analog TVs that can use S-Video? HDMI is
preferable for current digital TVs.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the response. This card does support HDMI aand composite via
adapters (s-videoComposite and DVIHDMI), but what I was really wondering
is just what would I output to the TV? Games, Movies? I doubt I'll need this
feature, but would not want to miss a feature I could use.

I haven't used a 4850, but rather a 4870 (same, but with DDR5 video RAM).
They are good cards, particularly at their current price points.

I looked at those, but wanted to maintain a balance, as I'm not a hardcore
gamer, but may play a game here and there and wanted the capability.

I trust that you have a PCI-Express mainboard that'll take the card. (PCI
and PCI-E are entirely different.) It also needs a single 6 pin PCI-E
auxiliary power connector to drive the card, but it comes with an adapter
to take two Molex connectors into one PCI-E.

Yes, I have all of that covered. I'm fairly tech-savvy, just not up on the
latest video card features. I'm replacing an ATI AIW XL1800, which is the
last card I've bought. ANd my PSU does have 6 pin PCI-E connectors.

Also, one other question that I had hoped to ask in response to my OP, but
that has yet to surface (fortunately, my server did download your response):

This is my 1st Asus video card. If you know, is there any reason *not* to
load the Asus software? With the 1800XL, when ATI stopped supporting the TV
software, I've generally just loaded the ATI driver (minus CCC) and have
been fine with that because a lot of the mfr software is buggy or silly. I'm
wondering if the general consensus on Asus software is good, bad or
indifferent? My tendency would be to install ATI 9.9 (display driver only),
but would I be missing out by avoiding the Asus software?

Thanks again,
Mikel

Relevant Specs:
Win7 64 bit RTM
GA-EP45-UD3R
8GB Gskill
Q9550

"Mikel Sunova" wrote in message
I am awaiting delivery of this ASUS EAH4850

I haven't bought a video card for a while and have a few elementary
questions regarding the features of the card:

1) Can the 2 DVI ports be used for two monitors, or is it just for
monitors that require 2 DVI connection (DVI Link?)

2) What would I use the TV out for? (HDTV / S-Video / Composite Out)

HDMI? (Via adapter).

I know this card will easily handle my business and CS3 usage, but I also
may do a little gaming with it.

Any comments (good or bad) to say regarding this card or chipset?

Thanks,
Mikel