Old September 19th 09, 03:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bob Knowlden[_4_]

Default ASUS EAH4850

1) I've never tried it personally, but the two DVI ports can drive two
monitors.

Dual link DVI (for high-res monitors) isn't two DVI connections: it requires
a single DVI interface of the correct type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...face#Connector

Both of the connectors on your card appear to be dual link, so (in
principle), you could connect two 30" monitors (each 2560 X 1600 pixels).

2) I dunno. Do you have any analog TVs that can use S-Video? HDMI is
preferable for current digital TVs.

I haven't used a 4850, but rather a 4870 (same, but with DDR5 video RAM).
They are good cards, particularly at their current price points.

I trust that you have a PCI-Express mainboard that'll take the card. (PCI
and PCI-E are entirely different.) It also needs a single 6 pin PCI-E
auxiliary power connector to drive the card, but it comes with an adapter to
take two Molex connectors into one PCI-E.

"Mikel Sunova" wrote in message
I am awaiting delivery of this ASUS EAH4850

I haven't bought a video card for a while and have a few elementary
questions regarding the features of the card:

1) Can the 2 DVI ports be used for two monitors, or is it just for
monitors that require 2 DVI connection (DVI Link?)

2) What would I use the TV out for? (HDTV / S-Video / Composite Out)

HDMI? (Via adapter).

I know this card will easily handle my business and CS3 usage, but I also
may do a little gaming with it.

Any comments (good or bad) to say regarding this card or chipset?

Thanks,
Mikel