Old July 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Ben Pope

John Russell wrote:
Nvidia have the right to the acronym SLI but don't get confused into
thinking this is Scan Line Interleaving,as it isn't.

From what i've seen only one card is responsible for generating the image,
the other is just a second GPU which performs tasks allocated by the first
GPU. This is far more efficeint than the Voodoo solution as no graphics
calculations are done twice.

The Voodoo solution is entirely symmetrical, with each card performing half
the scan lines, hence double the speed.

nVidias solutions is asymmetric - master/slave, which is LESS efficient - it
will never be able to deliver twice the performance, they reckon up to about
90%.

It also means that cards don't have to match so another upgrade path
becomes available. You can add a new faster card as the master and keep
the old one as the slave GPU.

"Secondly you'll need two identical, same brand and type, PCI-E GeForce 6800
graphics cards"
- http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1728/

"SLI will only work on two of the same cards."
- http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...s/nvsli/2.html

"Additionally, another requirement of SLI is that both cards must come from
the same manufacturer and be based on the same configuration"
- http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/..._sli/page4.asp

Ben