Old May 6th 08, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

On Mon, 05 May 2008 18:33:43 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:58:38 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:00:18 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:31:04 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
:::After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
:::Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
:::Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
:::went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
:::driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
:::correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
:::a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
:::ACPI behavior.
:::
::an
::
::The experiment failed. I just tried to restore from hibernation and the
::system went into deep sleep, no video, the numlock light on... ergo,
::reset. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
::
::The motherboard has problems with standby and possibly hibernation. I
::bought the GA-K8N Pro with an Athlon 64 3000+ in January 2004 and used
::it primarily as a DVR for nearly four years. I don't recall any
::details, but probably because standby and/or hibernation did not work
::reliably, I always manually turned on the computer when I wanted to
::record a program.
::
::Since I replaced the K8N Pro with a GA-945P-S3 and E2140 dual core
::CPU, scheduled recordings now wake up the computer from standby and
:lace it back to sleep after the recording is done.
::
::To refresh my memory, I dug out my K8N Pro board and installed Windows
::XP on both an IDE drive, and an SATA drive. For both installations,
::standby does not work. When coming out of standby, the power supply
::turns on, but the power LED remains dark; for Windows on the IDE
::drive, the drive busy LED remains dark, and for Windows on the SATA
::drive, the drive busy LED flashes twice every two seconds. The power
::button can turn the power supply on and off, but the hardware is in
::such a state that the reset button cannot reset the motherboard/CPU.
::The only way to get the computer working again is to recycle the +5
::volt standby power. However, hibernation seems to work, but this is
::with just an FX-5500 graphics card installed.
::
::If you want reliable standby and hibernation, I suggest getting a
::motherboard that has been made within the last two years. Boards that
::work fine for me include MSI 945GM3-F, MSI 945P Neo3-F,
::GA-8I945GZME-RH, GA-945P-S3, and GA-M61P-S3,
::** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
:
:Thanks very much for posting this and for digging out your old GA K8N
:Pro mobo and testing. My results are similar except that reset works,
:whereas the power button does not... that is unless I hold it down,
robably for 4+ seconds, although I do not have the 4+ seconds option
:for power button response selected in the BIOS. I haven't been paying
:attention to the power LED. My only booting partition at the moment is
n an IDE drive, although I plan to add some more. My plans were to
:install on other partitions of the same HD, not on my SATA drive.
:
:I suspected that the problem was involved with the motherboard, but your
ost was needed to drive the point home. I just ran a pass on my two new
:sticks of PC3200 DDR (1 GB each), with memtest86 v3.2, to test the
ossibility that I was suffering from bad memory. The pass gave no
:errors. It's a good idea to have run that test, in any case. I figured
:my next step was to swap out my nvidia 6600 GTOC AGP for my nvidia 4600
:AGP and see if there is a difference. Even if Standby and Hibernate
:function with that display card, I'm not sure I want to use that card
:regularly. I might for a while, since I would like to use sleep modes
:daily, but only occasionally use dual display. Besides, I can use the
:VGA output from the 4600 card to drive the 2nd monitor if I want to.
:
:Meantime, I'll keep an eye out for those motherboards you suggest.
:
:Truly, I haven't used any sleep modes with my PCs for years, since
:hibernate stopped working on my Windows 2000 system, but having recently
:gotten a laptop (Lenovo T60), I've come to appreciate Standby and rue
:the fact that I can't use it on my office machine.

I checked out all the MB's you suggested, and the last looks most
attractive among the lot, mainly because of the 4 PCI slots, making it
more suitable as an HTPC, which mine does as well as other general
computing tasks. I need two slots just for my HDTV card and
daughterboard.

Is this the MDP-130?

I also use firewire occasionally, so onboard firewire or
at least an open PCI slot for my firewire card would be nice. I fax
occasionally, using a PCI modem, so that takes a slot. Not having a
firewire connection on the front of my case, I rely on one on the back
somehow.

Another socket 754 AGP board would be easiest for me because I could use
my CPU and video card and DDR PC3200. Do you have any idea of the

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS PRO

That's socket 754, etc. Do you think it might also have ACPI issues?
It's an nforce3 250, so maybe those issues were worked out by then.

I've never used this board, so I have no idea. There's no way of
knowing for sure without actually trying it.

There is one motherboard with five PCI slots that is currently in
production, and that is the GA-P35-S3G.

TIA

Dan