Old September 9th 03, 04:20 AM
Norm

Ron, that drive does in fact have a CLS (Cylinder Limitation Jumper) jumper.
Just go to the Maxtor website, find your model number and you can look for
yourself. That might explain what is happening.
"Ron" wrote in message
Hi,

A while ago I bought a Maxtor HD, 20 GB. No matter what I tried I couldn't

get more as 10 GB out of it.

When I asked Maxtor they replied:

"Some OEMs (eg. Compaq, Dell, etc.) have the option to change the capacity

of drives to suit their particular needs. If an OEM has
sold you this drive as a higher capacity drive then you should take it up

with them to get it replaced. If they sold it to you as a
smaller drive or in replacement for a smaller drive, then it has the

correct capacity and can not be exchanged."

I tried low-level formatting with MaxBlast but it didn't help. Offcourse I

would like to have the higher capacity. Does somebody
know a trick?

Thanks in Advance.

Ron