Old September 8th 03, 10:46 PM
jmnugent

Some Maxtor drives have a set of pins that you can jumper together to limit
the drive to a certain size,
These jumpers are usually in the same place where you set the
Master/Slave/CableSelect settings
(on the end of the drive between the power and data connectors)
--jmnugent

"Ron" wrote in message
Hi,

A while ago I bought a Maxtor HD, 20 GB. No matter what I tried I couldn't

get more as 10 GB out of it.

When I asked Maxtor they replied:

"Some OEMs (eg. Compaq, Dell, etc.) have the option to change the capacity

of drives to suit their particular needs. If an OEM has
sold you this drive as a higher capacity drive then you should take it up

with them to get it replaced. If they sold it to you as a
smaller drive or in replacement for a smaller drive, then it has the

correct capacity and can not be exchanged."

I tried low-level formatting with MaxBlast but it didn't help. Offcourse I

would like to have the higher capacity. Does somebody
know a trick?

Thanks in Advance.

Ron