Old January 31st 05, 04:36 AM
Trent©

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:25:55 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

Did you try puttin' them on a floppy...delete the hardware...then
reboot? When Windows tries to install that new device, point it to
the floppy's drivers.

Not a floppy, but a harddisk directory. If I then force Windows to use 'my'
drivers, it warns me that they are *not* written for my hardware in the case
of the video card, or it just says I should press 'Finish' and does not
install the driver in case of the chipset.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

Videocard is not detected and only displays VGA,

What model card? Can 98 support that version of AGP? Got any old 1
or 2 cards sittin' around that you can try?

It's my only card. It isn't AGP, but PCI Express. It has W98 drivers, so
logically I'd expect it to work. The card is an Nvidia GeForce 6200 (Club3D)

Does it show ANY card in Device Manager? If it does, disable (check)
it and reboot. See if it'll then give you the option to install
another.

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

Well, yes and no. It doesn't give you many drivers, but it does have
instructions squirreled away on how to install the 98 .inf files.

Same thing here. See if anything is in DM. If so, try disabling it.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

Yes, but I think it's weird, because the BIOS has W98 compatibility
settings, and the box claims W98 compatibility.

Search for drivers for the Realtek chip. I haven't tried to install
any on a 98 system...but I would think it'd be difficult to find
working Gigabit drivers for 98.

TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Startin' to see the pattern? lol

Yes, unfortunately.

You may be beating a dead horse here! lol

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Me too, but normally I find it easier to fix.

Yeah...but this is a pretty high-tech board. I really think you'd get
the optimum performance out of it with a different OS.

I don't like to be forced onto another OS, because I can tweak 98se to do
what I want it to. I've never had any luck tweaking XP and I am completely
lost when it comes to *nix.

XP...pre-sp2...isn't bad. But I still find w2k more reliable and
responsive.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 PCI Express. Drivers I already have.

I'll try to nose around tomorrow.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

I have correct drivers already. It is the system that doesn't accept them.

The SYSTEM is Windows 98! lol

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 11441 MB (10986 MB
free)
D: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)
E: (FAT32) 51500 MB (50514 MB
free)
F: (FAT32) 25747 MB (25747 MB
free)
G: (FAT32) 25732 MB (25732 MB
free)
H: (FAT32) 28601 MB (21407 MB
free)
I: (FAT32) 23834 MB (15969 MB
free)
J: (FAT32) 59115 MB (2595 MB
free)
K: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9529 MB
free)

Don't forget the 2 gig file limit on 32...if yer gonna rip any DVD's.

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer
INC.
Product P5GD1
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

This might not be a bad time to give them a call.

It's late...I'll look at the rest tomorrow. But I didn't see anything
unusual.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent©