Old January 30th 05, 12:28 PM
Trent©

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 03:23:45 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Done. But why?

Because Windows will (most times) change drive letters on you if you
add or subtract a device. With what you now wrote...in your
particular case...this doesn't seem to be any particular problem for
you. But if you add a camera...or jump drive...etc., drive letters
will probably change...and can really muddle things up. Putting
non-IDE devices at the end of the alphabet gives Window room to add or
subtract letters...which it always does at the frontside.

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

I first tried to see if Windows came up with working PnP drivers. It didn't.
Then I installed the drivers from the disks I got with the components.

From my past experience, you shouldn't need to do that. When you put
in the CD, it should give you a menu...and allow you to install
drivers for the chipset, sound, LAN, etc. If you didn't get that, I'd
say that 98 probably won't run on that board.

That
gave me no results, as I described in the initial post. Then I downloaded
the latest W98se drivers (getting scarce!) with no extra luck.

Did you try puttin' them on a floppy...delete the hardware...then
reboot? When Windows tries to install that new device, point it to
the floppy's drivers.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

Videocard is not detected and only displays VGA,

What model card? Can 98 support that version of AGP? Got any old 1
or 2 cards sittin' around that you can try?

no sound (onboard sound drivers are part of the chipset drivers)

I didn't read the mainboard site in depth. But I kinda remember
reading that that onboard sound isn't supported in 98. Where did you
get the drivers? Are there 98 drivers on that CD? If not, its
probably not supported.

network somehow only runs if I use the DOS drivers

That's a chipset install feature again. Sounds like 98 doesn't
support most of that board.

TV card not detected, drivers also won't install

Startin' to see the pattern? lol

Rather annoying, all in all.

Yeah...been there, done that!

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Done! (Nice program, by the way.) It doesn't give me a lot of extra
information. It identifies my video card as Generic VGA, for instance. Not
highly inspiring. The report is 182 KB, so I won't post it right now.

Print out the text and post it within your message if you want. Just
don't include it as an attachment...or somebody'll jump all over your
ass! lol

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

No onboard video, but 1 add-on PCIx card.

Give us the card model. Maybe we can help find some drivers for it.
I'm guessing its either 4x or 8x.

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Video. Sound. TV card (secondary importance!). I haven't even tried USB yet,
if only because W98se doesn't have a great reputation hanbdling it. Once I
get the sound & video going, I'll be a lot happier.

Yup...these are all driver issues.

If you give us the make and model of all yer cards, we can try to help
you get the proper drivers...and hunt for tricks. But we may just be
spinning our wheels.

Havin' fun yet?! lol

Let us know...good luck.

Have a nice one...