Old January 30th 05, 01:26 AM
Trent©

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:57:46 +0100, "I.C. Koets"
wrote:

The very first thing you should do is update the BIOS.

Many of the newer boards are manufactured with just the very basic in
features. The full use of the board comes into play with a BIOS
upgrade.

I already did. It doesn't seem to help.

Okay...then let's hit it...one step at a time...

I built myself a new PC:

Asus P5GD1 motherboard (Intel 915P chipset)
2 WD harddisks, a NEC dvd/cd rw

What's the IDE configuration?

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly...especially on the WD's.
Check to see what drive letters they've been given. Change the NEC to
W.

Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card (PCIx)
Hauppauge WinTV Go! TV card

I installed W98se on it. All components' manufacturers claim their component
is supported in W98se, and I have looked up all appropriate drivers.

So you installed NEW drivers for everything? Is there anything that
didn't work from the git go?

The problem is that the drivers will not install.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Its not absolutely to install the
latest drivers if things are running properly. What not running
properly?

When I run the setup program of the chipset (supplied by Intel) I get the
error message that no Intel chipset is found on my pc. It then fails to
install any component. Even manual installation of the .inf files by using
the -a -a switch on the setup program, and then forcing the computer to
accept from me it has hardware that needs these drivers, results in no shown
components in the Device Manager after reboot. They just won't install.

I don't know yer level of expertise...and I'm not there...so...

Are you sure of what you have on the board?...what brand it REALLY is,
etc. Run AIDA32...so that you have the current specs on all the
hardware. Do a report and save it.

Again, a highly similar problem when installing my videocard. I run the
setup program, and it runs until it aborts with an error message saying I
don't have a Nvidia card. I'm therefore stuck in crappy VGA.

Do you have on-board video?...an add-on card?...or both.

Also, try doing a 'new hardware' search.

What is going on? And more importantly, what can I do about it?

Let's try to solve your MAJOR problems first...then we can hit the
annoyances. What ISN'T working? Video, I'm guessing. What else?

Did you install the drivers for your monitor? Sometimes that'll bring
the video card into sync.

Good luck...let us know.

Have a nice one...

Trent©