Old January 26th 06, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Best Card for Handling Video Playback & Driving Large Display

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:34:41 -1000, "
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:11:25 -1000, "
wrote:

Dang it. I accidently hit another key and sent the post. My typing
skills are atrocious.

So in the movie area Im not sure the hardware makes a huge difference
but I maybe wrong. I havent seen it with my 800XL

One thing the HDTV LCDs are lower res than the PC widescreen big
screens. They tend to be 1280 x 768 or 1366 x 768 mines the latter.

Now the tuner area you want to get the newer AIW. Im not even sure
what TV tuner they put in that. In the old days ATI used the third
party conexant chips and their theater chip I think its called in
different products.

They have a new generation chip out now called the 550 theater or
something. It was first used in the separate cards they and other like
sapphire came out with.

I was talking about the actual tuner previously, as that is
what pertains most to video quality so far as
noise/pixelation/etc on the incoming signal (all else
remaining equal, for example completely ignoring the SNR of
the signal). If he buys a card that's just hyped for gaming
and has the same quality tuner, he gains nothing.

The idea of "drive" an LCD is a bit far fetched. Either the
video card has the bandwidth to do it or it doesn't and just
about anything made in the past few years does, including
low-end cards. He could downgrade his 9600-whatever and
expect the same results if the other card has the same
scaling algorythms and he uses the same player- but
sometimes it takes people a few purchases before things
start to "click" I guess.