Old January 26th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video

Default Best Card for Handling Video Playback & Driving Large Display

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:27:37 -0600, "Harkhof"
wrote:

"sycochkn" wrote in message
link.net...
The program used to play DVDs has a lot to do with the image quality.

Yes, I have to agree, but the bigger issue I'm dealing with is quality
scaling to the high resolution without appearing grainy.

Yes, that's why you don't need a different video card (which
will do the same thing), you need a video player software
that does a better job than what you're currently using.

You wrote of a desire for DVI, but that's not going to help,
at most it will make the grainy picture more sharply grained
or at least, you wouldn't see much difference at all.

My hope is that
someone has some experience with the 2400fpw and has come up with solutions
to acheive the best quality possible at this point in time.

Best quality possible is video source that isn't resized a
lot, at native display resolution. If it strongly averaged
everything to be rid of grain, then it's blurrier with
artificial grain still from it being an LCD.

The DVD video, although it could be better, is not too bad, but the NTSC is
pretty bad, and that is my greater concern. For this issue, i believe that
software AND hardware will play a role.

What tuner is on the card you mentioned? No reason to
believe the "video card" portion of an AIW makes a
difference here, not when comparing one remotely modern like
what you already had.

Will DScaler work with your current tuner card?